To celebrate Valentine’s Day, former NFL defensive lineman Leger Douzable is sharing one of his favorite breakfast recipes with us!
- 4 slices vegan bread
- 1 cup fresh cut strawberries (8–9 cut in half)
- 1 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 6 Tbsp liquid plant-based egg replacer (equivalent to 2 eggs)
- 1 tsp organic powdered sugar
- 2 tsp organic pure cane sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tsp vegan butter
- Put maple syrup, organic pure cane sugar, half of the strawberries into a blender, and blend well. Once completely blended, put syrup to the side.
- In a bowl, put your cream cheese, pure cane sugar, and the other half of strawberries and blend together. Your strawberry cream sauce should still be thick but also smooth. Once done blending, put it back into the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- In another mixing bowl, put your plant-based eggs, almond milk, and cinnamon and mix together until milk and cinnamon are blended together with plant based eggs.
- Take your cream cheese mix, take a scoop of it and spread it evenly over one slice of bread. You can add more based on how much thickness you want inside of your French toast, but don’t forget to spread it evenly.
- Take another slice and gently place it on top of the other slice you just put the cream cheese mix on.
- Get out a skillet and put the heat on 5, or medium.
- Put a teaspoon of butter in the pan and make sure the vegan butter melts throughout bottom of pan (you can also use avocado oil spray if you prefer).
- Dip the bread with the cream cheese mix into the bowl with the plant based eggs, almond milk and cinnamon.
- Make sure every inch of the bread is covered then put in the skillet and cook on each side for about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, plate your toast, and don’t forget to add the strawberry syrup you made earlier. Add a dusting of powder sugar on top.