- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 6 cups unbleached, all-purpose organic flour, more for dusting dough
- 2 ½ cups of warm water (about 110F)
- 2 tbsp of cornmeal
- In a large bowl mix yeast and salt into 2 ⅓ cups lukewarm water (about 100F). Stir in flour, mix well to make sure there are no dry patches. Dough will be a little loose. Cover the bowl with clean damp towel. Let dough rise at room temperature 2 – 4 hours in a warm place.
- You can bake at this point or refrigerate the dough covered for up to two weeks.
- Heat oven to 450F. Once oven has reached 450F, place two cast iron pot covered with lid into preheated oven, heat pot for 30 minutes. If you don’t have a Dutch oven pot, you can use a cast iron pan but Dutch oven works better.
- Meanwhile, turn dough out onto a well-floured surface then shape dough into a ball. Transfer the dough on a cornmeal sprinkled parchment paper, so you can easily transfer right in the pot later. Repeat with remaining dough or refrigerate it.
- Cover the dough with an extra large bowl and allow to rest for 30 min while pot is heating.
- Remove pot from oven and holding ends of parchment paper, carefully drop dough into hot pot cover with lid, score then bread right near the center, then immediately return pot to oven and bake 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove lid from pot and bake uncovered for 12 – 15 minutes.
- Take the bread out and let it cool for an hour before cutting.
Find more of Zuliya’s recipes on @naturallyzuzu.