Simply Pasta is a monthly recipe column in which Best of Vegan contributor Teri-Ann Carty delves into her 20-year experience in fine dining and shares her best practices and recipes for making amazing pasta. In the third installment of Simply Pasta, she shares her recipe for a vegan corn and mushroom pasta that is bound to become your favorite late summer/early fall comfort meal.
Summer is in full swing and that means a couple of things, one spending AS MUCH TIME as you possibly can outside and two, summer produce is in abundance. A WIN in both regards. Summer for me does not last nearly long enough so this year me and my mister decided to rent a cottage for two weeks on a beautiful lake in Ontario. It gets us out of Toronto, on the water, close to family, and recharges my batteries so I can continue to create all the recipes for all of you!
A couple of weeks ago I was at my local grocer and stumbled upon the most stunning morel and yellow foot chanterelle mushrooms. If you have been following along here you already know that mushrooms are one of my greatest loves so when they look good, I have zero willpower and buy as many as I can. Luckily for me, corn was also looking VERY good. Corn and mushrooms go hand in hand but especially these particular varieties. Yellowfoots when sautéed taste super buttery and morels and corn? You just can’t beat it.
The morels do not take long to cook! They will shrink significantly in size so keep an eye. If your morels are small you may want to cook them separately and add them at the end.
This recipe is all sorts of delicious so I do hope you take advantage of it and make it yourself! Don’t forget to tag me if you recreate it.
- 1 bag linguine
- 2 tbsp olive oil (plus more for garnish)
- Pinch chili flakes
- ½ onion small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 8–10 medium sized morels, leave whole
- 1 pound (ish) yellowfoot chanterelles, sliced (leave small ones whole)
- 2 cobs corn, kernels removed (reserve cobs for corn stock)
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup pasta water
- Vegan parmesan
- Sea salt and cracked pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cook linguine till al dente and reserve pasta water.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a large pan with olive oil and chili flakes.
- Add onion to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and chanterelles. Cook until mushrooms start to soften and add morels.
- Add a splash of pasta water, season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine.
- Add in peas, corn, and chickpeas, season again.
- Once pasta is cooked, toss into the pan, add ¼-½ cup pasta water and some vegan parmesan to emulsify and toss to incorporate.
- Finish with olive oil, vegan parmesan, and microgreens.
- Transfer into pasta bowls and sprinkle with flaky salt, cracked pepper, and chili flakes.
PIN/SAVE/SHARE THIS RECIPE
Recipe, text, and photography by Teri-Ann Carty.