This Tofu Ricotta Stuffed Shells with Mushroom Ragu Bolognese recipe is an exclusive from Angela Rummans’ cookbook Angela’s Plant-based Kitchen. Click here to find out where you can purchase a copy of the book.
Disclaimer: the cookbooks we feature are independently selected by our Best of Vegan editors and are in no way sponsored by the author and/or the publisher. All content is used with permission.
While Angela Rummans is best known as a TV personality appearing on season 20 of Big Brother, beyond the small-screen, her list of accolades includes: level 10 gymnast, fitness model, entrepreneur, business owner, professional pole vaulter, 2012 Olympic Team Trials competitor, best-selling author and now… vegan chef!
Her passion for health and fitness began at an early age as she competed as a top-level gymnast which eventually transitioned to a professional track and field athlete. Seven years ago she began experimenting with a plant-based lifestyle while she was training as a professional athlete. Today she is fully vegan and on a mission to share her passion for cooking and her favorite plant-based comfort food recipes with the world!Print
- Spray olive oil
- 1 12-oz box of jumbo shells (48 shells)
- 2 cups almonds (soaked 6-8 hours or overnight)
- 2 14-oz blocks of extra firm tofu (drained)
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp basil, chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- Pinch of cracked black pepper, to taste
Mushroom Ragu Bolognese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ large yellow onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1½ cup carrot, grated
- 5 oz shitake mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 25-oz jar marinara or favorite red sauce
- Preheat oven to 400ºF/200ºC. Spray an 11×14 inch baking dish with olive oil and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add shells. Boil for 9-10 minutes stirring often. Drain shells and set aside.
- Make Mushroom Ragu Bolognese. Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add grated onion and garlic. Sauté 3-4 minutes.
- Add carrot and continue to cook until softened.
- Add mushrooms and cook 3 minutes.
- Turn off heat and stir in jar of marinara sauce.
- Transfer mushroom ragu sauce into a high-speed blender or Vitamix and pulse until almost smooth, leaving some texture to the sauce.
- Transfer ragu sauce to a bowl and set aside.
- In a clean blender or food processor, add 1 block of tofu, soaked almonds (drained), lemon juice, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt. Blend on high until smooth.
- Transfer to a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- By hand, crumble in the remaining block of tofu, add chopped basil, parsley, and black pepper, and fold together.
- Spoon in enough mushroom ragu sauce to cover the bottom of the 11×13 inch baking dish (about 1/4- ½ inch deep.)
- One by one, spoon tofu ricotta mixture into shells. Nestle shell into sauce after filling.
- Repeat this process until all shells have been filled and nestled into sauce in only one layer.
- After filling and organizing shells in sauce, spoon the remaining mushroom ragu sauce on top of the shells.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees until lightly browned and bubbling.
- Let cool 5-8 minutes before serving.
Reprinted with permission from Angela’s Plant-based Kitchen by Angela Rummans, 2020. Photo credit: Angela Rummans.
(Click on the image above to order your copy)
PIN/SAVE/SHARE THIS RECIPE