- 250g | 2 cups spelt or all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 80g (1/2 cup less 1 tbsp) granulated sugar
- 80g ( 1/2 cup less 1 tbsp) light brown sugar
- 70 ml (1/3 cup + 1 tsp) neutral vegetable oil
- 220 ml (1 cup less 1 tbsp) plant milk (I used soy)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) lemon juice
- 2 tbsp organic lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste/ extract
- Strawberry glaze
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp plant milk
- 160g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 175| 350F. Line a 22 cm loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Mix the vegetable oil, salt and sugars together in a medium bowl. Add in the lemon zest, vanilla and milk and stir to combine.
- Add the lemon juice and whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the flour and whisk until just combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake for 45-47 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let cool down into the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
For the strawberry glaze:
- Add the chopped strawberries in a bowl together with sugar and lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Stir and mash with fork, letting sit at room temperature until strawberry juice is produced.
- Combine 1 tbsp of the strawberry juice with the icing sugar and milk and pour over the cool cake.