Try this showstopping vegan vanilla and almond babka with soy milk glaze – it’s a perfect afternoon coffee treat!
For the dough
- 400 g Bread flour
- 9g dry instant yeast
- 0.5 tsp sea salt
- 60g light brown sugar
- 50g neutral vegetable oil
- 200ml soy milk, warm (55C| 110°F)
- 0.5 tsp vanilla bean paste
- For the Almond filling
- 250g almonds, toasted and ground
- 30g coconut sugar
- 50g light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 125ml soy milk
For the Glaze
- 50g powder sugar
- Soy milk
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the hook attachment, combine the dry ingredients.
- Pour the oil and soy milk on top and knead on medium-low for about 8-10 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place into a greased bowl. Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 1.5 hours or until doubled in size.
- Make the filling: add all the ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Grease and line with parchment paper a 30°Cm loaf pan.
- After the first rising, gently punch down the dough to release the gases. Roll out into a rectangle (about 30x 25cm).
- Spread the almond filling evenly, leaving a 2 cm border. Starting from the long edge, roll the dough into a log. Slice the log lengthwise to expose the center and twist the two ends into a braid.
- Place into the prepared loaf pan. Cover and let rise for another 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 175°C | 350°F. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes on the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the glaze by combining soy milk and powdered sugar. Pour over the cooled babka.
Find more of Yukiko’s recipes on @foodie.yuki.
If you loved this vegan vanilla and almond babka, you might also like…