This recipe is awesome because you can add so many components to it! Spinach curry that is used as a base and you can layer more flavours/vegetables!
- 1 medium onion (I used a purple one), diced
- 2 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp of ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp of freshly grated turmeric or powder
- 2 Bay leaves (optional)
- 1 cardamon pod (optional)
- 6 roasted tomatoes (optional to roast), peeled and blended with juice of half a large lemon
- 2 Tbsp of coconut milk (full fat, optional)
- 1 tsp of garlic paste (I roasted garlic and blended it with a small piece of ginger and a bit of lemon)
1 small package of tofu, optional (tossed with tapioca flour and a bit of salt and fried on a pan on all sides, without oil)
1-2 handfuls of baby spinach, more if you just want it to be a spinach curry)
1/2 cup of toasted chickpeas from a can. Tossed with a bit of paprika, salt, cumin and toasted for 10 mins
1. Heat olive oil in a large pan or pot on medium heat.
2. Place diced onions and fry on medium heat for 5 minutes, letting it get golden brown.
3. Add in your spices and fry until aromatic and it sticks slightly to the pan.
4. Add in your blended tomato mixture.
5. Place heat on high and then lower down to a simmer after it boil.
6. At this point, you could add coconut milk. It adds richness to it but you could leave it out if you don’t like the taste.
7. Add in your your spinach, tofu and chickpeas if you wish.
8. Serve with fresh rice or naan or eat on its own. Enjoy!