Pain au chocolat:
- 250g bread flour
- 250g all-purpose flour or bread flour
- 11g salt
- 15g yeast fresh or dry
- 50g sugar
- 150g plant milk
- 2 tsp *egg replacer
- 115g water
- 25g vegan butter
- 115g *fermented dough
- 250g *laminated butter
- *vegan egg wash
- 100g vegan chocolate
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 61g tapioca flour
- 22g baking powder
- 1 tsp guar gum
- 86g bread flour
- 60g water
- 0.28g dry yeast or 0.85g fresh yeast
- 578g unrefined coconut oil
- 60g flavorless vegetable oil (grapeseed)
- 30 soy lecithin granules or powder
- 310g water
- 3g guar gum
- 18g apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp salt
*Vegan egg wash:
- 1 Tbsp vegan egg replacer
- 5 Tbsp plant milk
- 1 Tbsp agave
- Mix all the ingredients except the fermented dough and laminated butter in a stand-up mixer with a dough hook.
- Add the fermented dough and mix on medium for five to seven minutes.
- Flatten dough with a rolling pin on baking paper (approx 30x40cm) and freeze for 10 minutes to chill.
- Meanwhile weigh and soften the butter into 30x20cm shape, chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Remove the chilled dough and place the butter on the bottom part of the dough, fold over the other part of the dough, allow to rest for 15 minutes before rolling out into 1 cm in thickness, make a double turn.
- Place again in the fridge to chill for 25 minutes, roll out again to 1cm and make a single turn, chill again for 25 minutes.
- Here you can divide the dough and save the rest for later in the fridge in a sealed ziplock bag to make croissants or cronuts later in the week, or you can make the whole batch and freeze the rest as you need them.
- Roll the dough into a 30x40cm rectangle, transfer to the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Cut into 20×30 cm squares, place the chocolate shavings at the beginning just before rolling up, into a cigar.
- Leave to proof for overnight on parchment paper on a baking tray until the next morning.
- Mix together the vegan egg wash and then brush with the egg wash, sprinkle on the almond flakes and bake for 15-20 minutes at 180 degrees Celcius.
- Remove to cool slightly before enjoying with a cup of coffee, preferably still in your PJ’s.
Vegan egg replacer:
- Mix together the egg replacer ingredients and store in container for future use.
- Combine the bread flour, water and yeast in a bowl. Leave to ferment for 12-18 hours before using.
- Blend oil with soy lecithin until the lecithin has dissolved, transfer into a pouring jug.
- Combine the water, guar gum, vinegar, salt, and sugar in a blender until combined.
- Whilst blending, pour the blended oils in slowly so it will create a strong emulsion.
- Pour on to a flat parchment paper-lined baking tray or container of choice, leave to set and divide in two, freeze for future use.
Find more of Mariza’s recipes on Life in the South.