Making homemade dumplings is a little time-consuming, but ultimately worth it – they taste much better than any pre-made, store-bought option! Plus they’re vegan. These spicy steamed dumplings go perfectly with the umami-rich sauce, and make such a comforting autumn meal!
- 2 lbs of bok choy, washed and julienned
- 1 package of wonton/dumpling wrapper
- 1 box of firm tofu, drained & mashed
- ¼ cup of saute mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon black bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- salt to taste
Spicy sauce (whisk all ingredients in a bowl until sugar dissolves):
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon chili oil with chili crumbs
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Chinese black vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Place julienned bok choy in a large bowl with 2 tsp salt, using your hands, gently massage salt into veggies. Set aside for 15-20mins. In a heated pan with 1 tsp oil, sauté mushrooms until lightly brown, add black bean sauce and stir until well combined, set aside and pan fry mashed tofu for 2 minutes (or until brown), season with salt. Place both ingredients in a big bowl.
- Using a cheesecloth or just with your palms, squeeze as much liquid out as possible from your bok choy. Add tofu mixture, cornstarch, combine well & season if needed.
- Place a dollop of mixture in the middle of your wrapper, moisten side with water and pleat to seal. Place wontons on a steamer basket and steam for 15mins in high heat. Remove and serve warm with spicy sauce. You can serve sauce on the side or as pictured.
Find more of WoonHeng’s recipes on @woon.heng.