- 2 cups of water
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp veggie bouillon/paste
- 1 ½ tsp agar agar
- 200 g flour (double zero flour recommended but you can use all purpose flour)
- 2 tsp neutral oil
- ½–¾ cup hot water
- 4 ounces store bought pre pressed extra firm tofu (½ cup when packed)
- ¼ cup dried shiitake mushrooms (6-7 ct) hydrated in cold water then finely chopped
- 3 green onions finely chopped (whites & light green parts)
- ¼ cup each of cabbage & carrots shredded & finely chopped
- ½ tbl sesame oil
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ginger powder
- On stovetop bring broth ingredients to a boil for about a minute while stirring. Pour in a shallow pan. Put in fridge at least one half hour till agar sets & is firm.
- In a food processor add flour, process on high, slowly add hot water & oil. It will soon form a smooth ball. Then knead with hands a couple of minutes. Wrap with kitchen towel & rest 1 hr
- For the filling: mash tofu in a bowl till crumbly. Add the rest of the filling ingredients.
- Once agar has set, use a knife to finely dice into tiny cubes. Add half of the agar to the filling.
- Cut dough into three equal pieces. Take one piece, wrap remaining pieces. On a well floured surface, roll into a log about ¾ in thick, cut into 1 ½ in pieces. Roll each piece into a 4 in disk leaving the center thicker than the edges. Make sure edges are thin for easy pleating.
- To assemble, add 1 tbl of filling to the center of the dumpling wrapper. Top with 1 tsp of remaining agar. Pleat to seal. Repeat. Or an easier option: just fold the top, bottom, left, & right edges & them join in the middle & firmly seal open seams with fingers.
- In a steamer lined with parchment paper steam dumplings 8-10 min till broth returns to a liquid. Enjoy!
Find more of Sara’s recipes on @thevegansara.